Happy Cinco de Mayo!! Anyone who knows me knows just how much I LOVE Mexican food…and margaritas! Many people believe that when you are trying to lose weight or keep your diet in check you can’t enjoy that stuff…but you can!!
I always preach that it’s better to satisfy a craving and be done rather than deprive yourself…and ultimately binge later. The basics are to avoid the heavy sauces, sour cream, overloading on cheese, and fried menu items. Order guacamole, if possible, as it’s a very healthy addition to your meal. Here are some more tips for dining out tonight:
- Order fajitas! They contain lots of meat and veggies – you can’t go wrong! Where things tend to go haywire is with the rice, beans, and everything else. Order steak, fish, or chicken and make sure to ask for corn tortillas. Most places have that option nowadays with so many suffering from gluten allergies. The corn tortillas are always smaller and therefore will be somewhat better. Now, the other things. DO not eat the refried beans. If you really want beans, ask for black instead. And as far as the rice…..eat a spoon of it and be done. Trust me when I tell you, on Cinco de Mayo the rice is almost always the worst part of the meal….anywhere you go. Add the pico in and leave out the sour cream…there are better ways to spend those calories.
- Chips. This gets it’s own category. I know how delicious it is…and after waiting who knows how long for a table tonight you will be hungry. Have a few (and I mean a few) and be done. If you know you won’t be able to only eat a couple of chips, tell the waiter you don’t want them on the table. That way, the temptation isn’t even there!
- Burritos – This is an easy one guys. Make it a bowl. If you can sub out the regular “mexican” rice for brown…do that. Be smart about the type of burrito you choose, and if possible, create your own. It will contain everything you want and be guilt-free.
- Tacos – This is another great option. If you don’t want to leave smelling like a restaurant (as fajitas tend to do) go with this. Ask for the corn tortillas and you’re good to go. Remember – no refried beans on the side!
- Taco salad – Don’t….just don’t. This always comes in an enormous FRIED shell. They load it with lettuce but they also put tons of cheese and other nonsense that you shouldn’t bother with.for all the calories in this, you may as well have something good.
- MARGARITAS!!!! I get asked this question by clients and friends all the time – Can we still have a drink when we go out?? The answer is yes. After all, who goes out on Cinco de Mayo and doesn’t?! It’s about moderation. If you like how regular margaritas taste and prefer it not to be so strong, order it as is and only have one. Better yet? Order the skinny margarita. It has half the calories and will usually be stronger. I don’t like mine sweet so I tell them to leave out the agave and replace it with seltzer. That option is even better since seltzer has no calories at all…so the margarita will be even less.
If you prefer a more subdued evening, there are many delicious and easy to make options for you at home. I’ve done Cinco at home and it’s definitely the easiest & healthiest way to go. The atmosphere isn’t the same but you can make it to your own taste and make it macro friendly. You can make tacos or your own burrito bowls from the comfort of your own kitchen and by using your own ingredients, you can tailor it to your diet specifications. You can even make a margarita at home! If you don’t want to crack open a ready-made (and quite delicious) SkinnyGirl margarita, you can make it by adding tequila, triple sec, seltzer, and a splash of lime juice. Boom.
Whatever you choose to do tonight, make sure you enjoy it. There is nothing worse than having amazing food and a great time with friends and loved ones…only to have it squashed by the food noise & all the guilt that accompanies it. Allow yourself a night out & try to make smart choices. And you know what…if you slip up tonight and have one too many drinks or decide to get something more fattening to eat…SO WHAT?! It’s one meal and one night! Get back on your grind tomorrow morning and continue through the weekend. Life is so much more than rock hard abs every single day – learn to love this new healthier lifestyle and trust me….it will be easy to stick to.
Stay strong & stay in the fight!