The first week of my Summertime Shred is in the books!! While I may be loosely following a workout plan from Bodybuilding.com, I decided to create my own meal plan for this 6-week shred. After the last shred I did in 2014, I couldn’t deal with the crazy restrictions. No more poverty macros and minimal calories for this girl! I created a flexible diet plan which is high in protein and doesn’t leave me hungry every night. I’ve also come up with a few amazing recipes that are sure to jazz up even the strictest diet. Whether you are following along with my shred or just looking for some healthy recipes, these will satisfy even your toughest critic. Best of all? You can make them all in 30 minutes or less! Check them out and let me know what you think!
Chili-Lime Chicken Burgers
*This recipe can be used for tilapia as well. Just coat the fish with lime juice first then add seasonings before placing in a grill pan.*
- 1 pound/package of ground chicken (I use Perdue)
- 1 tsp chili powder (or more if you prefer things spicier)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- olive oil
- salt/pepper, to taste
- parsley, optional
- Combine spices and ground chicken together. Divide meat into 4 parts and create burger patties.
- Lightly coat the bottom of a grill pan with olive oil and heat to medium high. Place burgers in pan.
- Cook each side until brown (approx 5-8 min per side), then lower heat to medium and cover.
- Continue to cook for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
Butternut Squash Soup
*This recipe is for 1 serving…and is absolutely perfect for a quick meal! I roast the squash ahead of time using a little cinnamon and black pepper. I place in a container and portion it out for the week. However, if you used the entire batch, it would serve at least 4. You will have to add more liquid, accordingly.*
- 1 cup of cut butternut squash (I use Trader Joe’s pre-cut variety)
- 1 cup of unsweetened cashew or coconut milk
- In a blender (or magic bullet), combine squash and 1/2 cup of milk. Blend until creamy.
- In a small saucepan, combine blended squash with remaining milk. Heat on medium and stir. Continue to cook for about 5-8 minutes, or until heated through.
*I’ve posted this before, but it’s so good that it’s worth posting again 🙂 I serve mine over brown rice but you can enjoy a nice, hearty bowl of this chili without the rice and it will taste just as good!*
- 1 pound/package of ground turkey
- 1/2 can of diced tomatoes (approx. 7 oz)
- 1/4 cup of frozen bell pepper strips
- chili powder
- hot sauce (optional)
- salt/pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan with a little olive oil (to coat the bottom of pan), combine turkey and spices. Cook on medium high heat and brown evenly.
- Add diced tomatoes & peppers as well as hot sauce, if you choose. Add a 1/4 cup of water and lower heat to simmer.
- Cover & continue to cook for approximately 20 minutes. Serve over brown rice (optional) and top with your favorite cheese.
Baked Sweet Potato “Fries”
*Serves 1 – to serve more, use additional potatoes.*
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled
- cinnamon/black pepper, to taste
- Line a cookie sheet with foil. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut sweet potato length-wise into strips. Place strips on cookie sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon and pepper. Drizzle olive oil on top.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
Have suggestions for what I should cook up next? Email me at TheFight2BeFit@gmail.com and let me know!
Stay strong & stay in the fight!